Ground clouds

This is in Iceland, South East region on the coast. I don’t know whether this counts as sky phenomena or not. It certainly was something I’ve never seen before. I did posted another image very similar to this so I hope this is okay.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

ISO 100, 35 to 70 at 70 mm in APC mode, F8, 1000th, Sony A1

2 Likes

Boy, David! This is an incredible sight. At first I thought I was looking at some kind of huge waive, a tsunami almost! Thanks for sharing!

David, the ground hugging clouds look great, while this isn’t quite what I was looking for, it is an interesting phenomena in a fine photo. I see clouds like this a lot in the deep valley of our Montana home clinging to and flowing over the slopes on the East side of the valley. My guess is that it’s a mix of microclime and local evaporation. I can sit and watch the low hanging clouds drift with wind for long periods of time. In this case, my guess is that there extra moisture coming off the ocean that condenses to cloud as the wind pushes it up and over the ridge.

How interesting! I love the little farm for scale - really makes this impressive.

Fascinating! I know there are folks who would know exactly what is going on and, putting my “Thinking Thermally” cap on I’d say cold air is descending and condensing moisture and in the lower part the ocean keeps it warm enough to prevent that from happening. Just a guess. Thanks. I’d love to see other photos of similar.