Grumpy about the Winter Weather

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I visited the Lansing, MI River Trail near Potter Park Zoo to pursue some pintail ducks that were reported in the vicinity. Lots of mallards, geese and uncooperative common mergansers were the only waterfowl nature was serving that morning. I did find a very grumpy looking bald eagle that was thinking about how to capture a duck or goose for breakfast. I was lucky to get this shot because of all the surrounding branches. I was positioned perfectly so that the eagle was not covered up by any branches .

Specific Feedback

I went with a high key comp which made this guy a little pop and drama. It was about 10 degrees and I hope that the eagle’s look suggests a grumpy look. Does this image convey Winter cold?

Technical Details

Z9 600mm f4 + 1.4xTC (1/2500sec at f8.0, ISO 2000) Levels, DeNoise, Rubber stamp and Repair bandaid tool to clean up OOF branches. Rubber stamp tool was also used to remove OOF branch that passed in front of perch in lower aspect of frame.


Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

Vision and Purpose:
Conceptual:
Emotional Impact and Mood:
Composition:
Balance and Visual Weight:
Depth and Dimension:
Color:
Lighting:
Processing:
Technical:

The blank sky conveys winter to me most. Today it’s overcast and if I was out and about, I’d have a similar look in my photos. I’ve taken almost this identical shot in identical conditions and it’s a tough one to pull off because of that big swing in dynamic range. Terrific detail in the plumage, but I notice some odd smears on the tree branches and trunk. It does indeed seem peeved or maybe contemplating some devious plan for a duck.

Hi Jim
A very cool and grumpy-looking winter Eagle. I like the framing.
Nice work.
Peer

Looks cold to me, Jim. And somehow the “grumpy” really applies to this bird’s expression. It doesn’t look at all like that normal “noble” look we associate with eagles. I never would have thought of eagles in that area as we never saw them when I was growing up half a dozen miles from there. But then, that was the time they sprayed DDT regularly.

Jim, the eagle does look like he is ready for spring like I am. Enough of the cold weather. Excellent job with the high key look.

Not sure about grumpy, Jim, to me he looks very intent on something-one of the ducks perhaps. Excellent detail and nicely framed by the branches. High key works well to show him off.

This guy has great looking attitude. Whether he is intense on looking for food or whether he is just pissed off. Nice detail great look.