Guianan Cock-of-therock

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I had an opportunity to travel to Guyana last month with my wife for a vacation centered around nature-viewing and photography. One of the highlights was viewing and photographing this male Guianan cock-of-the-rock in the middle of the Iwokrama rainforest. These are somewhat less common than their Andean counterparts, so I was thrilled to be able to see and photograph it.

Specific Feedback

I took several images of this subject, but like this particular image as it shows off the ornate wings, the unique crest as well as the beak which is normally hidden. I’d like to hear what you think.

Technical Details

Techs: 840mm on tripod, ISO3200, 1/100s@F6.3.

The preview shows a much more saturated version than what I am seeing in my files. I’m curious if you also see this image as over-saturated.

1 Like

This is gorgeous, Govind. A spectacular bird in a very nice setting. You handled the rainforest light very nicely. I know these birds have very fine feather structure, but I’m seeing hints of some detail that I think you could bring out with a touch of micro-contrast enhancement. Saturation looks pretty good judging from other photographs of the sister species that I’ve seen.

1 Like

Hey Govind! Love the crest and the fact you managed to get the beak showing! Not easy to do with this species from other images I have seen. I agree with Dennis about he sharpness. I think the saturation of the reds is real close to the edge., but still within the right perameters. Very nice work!

1 Like

I was excited to see this in the feed, as it’s one of my top goals for my own Guyana trip coming up in a couple months.

Colors look good to me, and not excessive. I think that you could crop from the bottom a bit. As much as I like the OOF leaf pattern, I think it’ll help to drop the bird and perch down in the frame, since the eye tends to travel upward in this composition and with this pose (i.e., too much space below pulls it the wrong way).