Black-crested Coquette

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Going from the Nature Lodge in the Cano Negro area to the Arenal Volcano Observatory Lodge we stopped at a hummingbird garden. It did not indulge in the frivolity of feeders, so shooting was a lot more difficult, especially since there was a very territorial hummingbird amongst the denizens that kept chasing my subjects away just as I got them in focus. To make matters worse we had scattered clouds so the light kept changing. Anyhow, enough whining. This was my favorite of the garden and I managed to catch him almost unobscured a couple of times. This was my favorite.

Specific Feedback

Does the flower stem crossing the wing detract too much from the image?

Technical Details

Sony A1 FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, monopod, f/9, 1/640, iso 2500. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 4590x3564. I brought the hummingbird luminosity up a bit to make it pop from the background. Taken February 24th at 10:25 a.m.

2 Likes

That’s quite a crest!! And gorgeous detail on the body feathers! Bonus points for getting it in the wild!

The stem isn’t a big problem but with some careful mask painting you might be able to tweak it down a bit with a curve. I love the OOF flower in the corner!

Hi Dennis, bird is nice and sharp - glad you got that through the foliage. Very interesting subject. I like this capture even though I’m not a fan of the oof flower and stem this is still a fine keeper.

Great job in Questionable lighting… Nice and sharp. Well composed.Excellents in the jungle shot…