Vulturine Guineafowl

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

It was nice to finally see and photograph the Vulturine Guineafowl in Kenya last month. This is the third Guineafowl species I’ve seen, and probably the most dynamic looking. I’m entranced by the colorful, draped feathers on their collar especially.

In this case we had a family foraging in the dirt at last light. I was shooting wide open to capture some of the action, when these two adults raised their heads together for a brief moment.

For the same of symmetry, more depth of field may have been ideal, but there wasn’t time to stop down before they went back to feeding… and I suppose there’s some unexpected depth and layering here, so I won’t complain too much.

Technical Details

Canon R5
Canon 600mm f/4 + 1.4x
ISO 2000
1/800th
f/5.6

1 Like

Not quite sure what to make of this without the heads showing, but it is an artistic presentation with good colors, lines, and detail.

1 Like

I like this, Max. Very cool symmetry and the lines and colors are awesome. It might make more of a splash in the Abstract forum, but we’ll see how it does here. I am also a bit ambivalent about the shallow depth of field, but the more I look at it, the more it grows on me. One minor nit: There’s a short brightish stem sticking up between them and after I saw it I couldn’t unsee it.

1 Like

Hi Max, interesting abstract with the matching colors and patterns. The difference in sharpness is okay with me as it provides some layering as you mention. Cool frame.

1 Like

Picky me doesn’t like the OOF bird on the left side. Perhaps closing down a full stop would have brought both into sharp focus. I do like the abstract quality of the feather designs in both Guinea Fowl.

1 Like

wonderful lines and shapes. A nice sense of abstractness in this image. Well seen

1 Like

Incredibly well seen, and awesome timing. These birds don’t pose much :slight_smile:

1 Like