Gull in Good Light

I guess this might better be called an environmental portrait as the gull is small in the frame. However, I liked the soft light on this gull as well as seeing the environment.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any and all.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any and all.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
1/2500, f/9 and ISO 280. Cropped to about 75% of the original to get the bird off center .

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Excellent light, flight position, and background in this image. I like the crop.

Wonderful capture of the bird and the environment; I would be interested in the # of mm in this image, to learn from that. Cheers, Hans

Richard, you have made something so mundane as a seagull beautiful. I, too, am curious what focal length you shot this with.

David, Hans and Adhika: thanks to all for your comments. This photo was shot at 120mm focal length on a D500 which is a crop sensor camera. Richard

2 Likes

I like this small-in-the-frame presentation, Richard. The light on the gull gives it enough emphasis that it doesn’t need or want to be larger. Nicely done.

A beautiful shot of this gull in its surroundings. Great light. Nice contrast between a bird of the sea/water in a mountainous location, too.