Haida Sunset

On a recent trip to Haida Gwaii we were camping on the beach and this evening was the only day where we had light. The clouds moved in with driving wind and rain after that.

This was shot on a long stretch of beach which no headlands, sea stacks or anything else to contrast with the ocean. In your opinion is there enough in this composition to hold a viewers interest?

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback or commentary

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

Nathankleinphotos
1 Like

Love the composition, lines and colors . Shutter speed just right. Looks like the highlights/whites are blown out a bit on the histo.

1 Like

Yes, I believe there enough elements here to keep one’s interest. That interest, however, must be inclined towards minimalist landscapes. Mine are, I love and shoot them as much as possible. In fact it’s part of my logo. The long exposure is good, the waves in front are visible and act as leading lines. The white balance is well done. Yea, this works. Good stuff!

1 Like

I really like this, Nathan. The color and light are more than enough to hold my interest. As @Mario_Cornacchione said, the highlights look a little too hot. I’m not sure if you have the detail in your raw file, but might be worth looking at. Really nice!

So beautiful and serenely joyous. This is all about color and space. It looks a tad washed out and too cool to me so I brought it into ACR for a little work - wb adjustment, a graduated filter to take the sky exposure down a little, color channel change to blue since it looked a bit extreme to me. Hope you don’t mind. I’d love to step right into that frame.

Haida Gwaii - most definitely on my bucket list!! I’m loving this photograph. Personally I would not push the colour or contrast on this image at all. I love how laid back, understated and meditative it is - Haida Gwaii as opposed to Venice Beach :crazy_face:! This image reminds me a little bit of some of the work of photographer Ned Pratt. His work often focuses on, I’m not sure how to put it - horizontality . He’s not so much interested in dynamism as the kind of layering that your image is all about. (You might find his book “Ned Pratt: One Wave” to your liking).

Thanks Kerry for the tip on Ned. If I had my time again I would have gone to Haida Gwaii in summer instead of fall. I think there would be more photographic possibilities during summer

Depends how you look at it. Everybody goes there in the summer so from that perspective (outside the “familiar” Haida Gwaii shots) maybe there are more photographic possibilities in the fall. Your image seems to confirm my thesis :grin:

1 Like