Halfway House

A cold January morning at the Halfway House, heading up towards Snowdon summit via Llanberis Path

I think this is one of my favorite photos taken so far this year, captured late January. At the time my initial attempt at processing the image was a little rushed and I was never really happy with how it looked. So, last night I decided to put some time and effort into re-editing. Now the scene appears more like how I remember it.

The bulk of the editing was done in ACR with some finishing touches made in PS. Finally, it was sharpened for the web using Andreasresch Web Sharpener Panel.

Any kind of general feedback would be greatly appreciated, or just let me know whether or not you like the photo :smile:

• Whatā€™re your thoughts on my style of processing?
  • How about the sharpening?
  • Does the composition work for you?
  • Do you think Iā€™ve managed to capture any atmosphere/mood with this image?
  • How does this photograph make you feel?

Sony ILCE-7RM3 / FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS / No filters / Tripod / Single shot
ISO 100 - 200mm - f/11 - 1/30sec

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.

capturelight71

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I like this one, John. It is a nicely unusual image, with good use of negative space. The sparse detail in the back contributes to a nice mood of mystery and the unknown. I would not mind a bit more room at the bottom, but really minor. It works well as presented.

Thanks Harley, much appreciated

John,

I like this as well and would agree with Harley on some more room at the bottom. I suspect there was some other element causing the tight crop? But thatā€™s pretty minor.

Your capture does a great job showing the scale of the bg mountain and the context of including the old stone house; the remoteness and isolation of having the house out there and then the dominating power of the mountain over that little house. The fog is working wonders here.

To your questions, Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ve really ever associated processing as having style, but I would say the processing is excellent. I do see a hint of blue kind of in the center of the fog mass, on the left side of the exposed mountain. Hardly worth mentioning.

Sharpening looks fine to me - although unless something is off real bad, itā€™s most times hard to judge the sharpening at these web sizes. Personally, I never sharpen large portions of blank sky, uniform clouds, fog, water, etc. Not sure if you did here, but canā€™t tell if you did or didnā€™t.

Composition is excellent for the reasons I mention above in terms of context, scale and also the connection between the two main elements.

Definitely has atmosphere. And while I donā€™t really ā€œfeelā€ anything personally, the message Iā€™m getting is again that sense of remoteness, isolation and the overwhelming presence of the mountain (in fact the fog is masking how big the mountain actually is!)

Thanks for the details and letting us know what youā€™re wanting to know.

Lon

1 Like

I like it. The processing and sharpening seem fine, but as Lon said, you cannot always tell about sharpening on these smaller images, and I am on my laptop.
I really like the composition, and I donā€™t usually like to have manmade objects in my images. But that hut works really well here. I like how the mountains tower over it. Like the others, I would like just a bit more room on the bottom, but that it minor. Nicely done!

1 Like