Halloween Pennant male

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Came across another Halloween Pennant dragonfly at a local park recently. This is the same individual on the same perch with different BG and compositions.

Specific Feedback

Any. Preference of the three shots?

Technical Details

Canon 90D, 300 f4L IS, 1.4x extender II, monopod
ISO 2500, f16, 1/200s

1 Like

Allen, they are 3 very nice shots, with great detail and no distracting BG. I think for me I like the first one with the green BG. The green helps the browns in him to show up better, to me. Maybe the square crop is helping too. I would be pleased to call either of them mine though.

Allen, the green background sets off the DF very well. However, I do feel like the vertical crop is a slightly better fit to your combined subject. It’s always fun when a DF is strongly committed to a particular perch as that lets you get close and try a variety of comps. The vertical would benefit from some burning-in of the midtones in the stalk and the DF’s body.

All are excellent, but I like the contrasty appearance of the last image. Comp is very good and vertical format is perfect for the comp…Jim

1 Like