Early Halloween (Halloween Pennant)

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is the first Dragonfly I’ve shot this year as it has been stifling hot and frankly, dangerous to be outside, so when this guy stopped for a rest closer to day’s end, I chanced a quick step outside.

Specific Feedback

Just wondering if I should add a bit more color to the sky. I knocked it down to ensure the eye didn’t wander too far from the Pennant.

Technical Details

Z8, 24-120 @120mm, f/6.3, 1/200, ISO 200

ACR, PS with TK9 Combo for contrast and Lum Masking and cropping. Really didn’t do too much editing , depending on the Bokeh I knew the lens would provide to isolate the Pennant.

1 Like

Chris, you are so right about it not even being safe to step outside at times with the heat we have had. Today is the hottest day here so far I think, with a feel like of 112, I am not going out to photograph, that is for sure. I had to cut my walk short this morning and put my yard work off another day as it is supposed to be a bit cooler tomorrow.

I am good with the sky, and it separates the blue below which I am guessing is a lake or some kind of body of water. I like that you included the water, although in doing so the DF seems a bit further away from the viewer. I also like whatever he is perched on. This is a nice pleasing image of the DF in his environment.

1 Like

Hi Chris, that’s a really interesting perch! Nice of him to land on top of it. I’m glad you included so much of the perch too as it helps tell the story. I also like the elements included in the lower part of the frame giving a sense of context. The sky looks good to me. Well done.

1 Like

The perch is a dead sprig of Rosemary.