Halloween Pennant Dragonfly series

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Visited a local park last week and found a cooperative Halloween Pennant so I couldn’t resist taking a few (okay lots) of photos of him. I think this series is all of the same dragonfly just on different perches and backgrounds.

Specific Feedback

Any

Technical Details

Canon 90D, 300 f4L IS II, 1.4x extender II, monopod
first image: ISO 2500, f20, 1/200s

Processed in DXO Pure Raw 3 and Photoshop.

Really great series Allen! The varied backgrounds and light make different details show up in the DF. And what a DF! The wing position seems distinctive among the types so I really like that - especially the wing tips have a bit of red in spots. Such a cool detail.

The first shot maybe could have blacks or shadows brought down just a tiny bit. The second seems a bit muddy so lifting mid-tones should remedy that. Same maybe with the third, but it could be just a highlight lift will do it - in the bug only! But oh man, the textures and delicacy of the poses is so fantastic. Great work!

Allen, DF’s can be such neat subjects. He gave you lots of good poses on different perches (many times they like to go back to the same perch), so I can see why you took a “few” shots of him. I like @Kris_Smith suggestions. They are all good but those changes just might improve them even the more.

Allen: Great subject. Did you get a model release? Hard for me to choose between 1 & 2 but all are excellent. Top notch all. >=))>

All in the series are excellent–but the last one is the may favorite. The pennants are the only dragonflies that typically perch with the wings up in the vertical position. The BG on the last version works well with the warm tones. Awesome series…Jim