Male Halloween Pennant Plus RePost

A bachelor Halloween pennant on territory perched on an equisetum plant. I toned down the highlights a tad. I used Topaz Denoise AI and Topaz Adjust for enhancing the details on the dragonfly’s body.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Nikon D500, 400mm (200-400mm f4) set at 1/60 sec at f18, Iso 400, fill flash at -2.0ev.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

A beautiful capture, Jim. such details in the DF, and wonderfully soft green background to make him and his perch stand out. I am seeing some kind of spots (not sure if dust bunnies or something in the air) on some of the background. Otherwise, a very nice image.

1 Like

Hi Shirley,

I hunted the dust bunnies and found quite a few of them. I need to clean that sensor. Here’s a repost of a cleaner version. Thank you for finding the DB’s…Jim

1 Like

Looks great, Jim. Great detail and color.

1 Like

Hi Jim, wonderful details and fine, realistic colors. Nice of this species to prefer high perches. Well done!

1 Like

Jim: A great catch and exceptionally good after the clean up. Really good DOF management especially. :+1::+1:>=))>

1 Like

Jim, this is a great look at this Halloween pennant. Getting it on the equisetum shows the wetland habitat. Getting reasonable sharpness on the red pterostigma adds a nice touch. In live viewing, I hadn’t noticed the redness of the wing veins, so I’ll be on the lookout.

1 Like