Hanging Grasses

Walking along my favorite shore cliff, I saw these grasses that were growing downward. Combined with the interesting texture of the cliff, I figure there must be an interesting print to be made. The overall scene was pretty bland, so I had to decide what to do with it. I took the approach of emphasizing the latent colors in the many elements of the scene. Then had to work with luminosity and contrast to try to give the eyes somewhere to settle and travel.

Starting Point

Specific Feedback Requested

I do not figure this is a finished product, so would greatly appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5DIII 24-105 f/4 @ 105mm 1/60 f9

1 Like

I like how you cropped it, Dick. And your processing so far has really brought out the details and the colors. It looks like you added a bit of vignette to it as well. I can’t think of anything else to try on the shot, but am sure others will weigh in.

That’s an amazing transformation. I don’t have the gift for previsualization. This is the most interesting image posted tonight in my opinion.

Dick, you made a great job finding this scene in the first place, and have applied a great post-processing. Also, your cropping is very good, for instance placing the stone in the LRC.

Thanks @Igor_Doncov . Thanks for the encouraging words. Funny thing, as I understand pre-visualization, one has a pretty good idea of the print when the image is captured. That increases the odds of the capture being spot on for its intended transformation. Your images convey that sense of continuity between capture and finished product.
The curious grass and gnarly cliff structure in this scene just seemed to have some potential but I was not sure how to find that potential. I figured it would be just another of my 2-dimensional “up against the wall” shots. But I figured “There must be a pony in here somewhere” and when I sat down to work with it, I had a little conversation with it and decided to make it louder. I would love to find a way to make it whisper, but I don’t do that very often or well, so nuthin doin so far.