Happy Duck

A long-tailed duck. An uncommon wintering species here in Oregon. I like the sense of joy expressed here. I like how the reflected color on the left (a piling in the harbor) matches the duck’s coloration.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

The shutter speed was too slow, not sure why I had it so slow, but the large image will be a bit soft.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7D II; Sigma 150-600 at 600 mm. 1/250 at f7.1; ISO 100

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hi Alan I am enjoying this photo very much. You are correct when blown up to its largest it is a bit on the soft side however that’s a little trade-off considering the action that you caught here. I too like capturing ducks and geese doing something as opposed to Simply doing nothing. With that said thank you for posting and sharing.

1 Like

It does look happy, Allen. I like the pose you caught and the splashes are wonderful. While there might be a slight softness, it’s not very noticeable, except to pixel peepers. Viewed at a normal size and distance it would look very sharp.

1 Like

Hi Allen, nice action captured and I like the reflection as you stated also. For birds in action, the lowest ISO I shoot is 400 trying to balance minimal noise and adequate shutter speed ( I also shoot with a 7D2). Anyway, this is a nice image and the duck does look mighty happy.

1 Like

This is a fun image with nice isolation of the subject matter, the longtailed duck. I do like the expression, the splash, and the point of view quite a bit.