Harvest Moon, state II

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is an oldie, from the late 1990s. I was doing a lot of gallery shows then and this piece sold about 25 times, in various media and sizes. It’s looking pretty dated to me now, but a copy still hangs in the house. The most recent sale was about 3 years ago when a decorator saw it on the wall and had to have it. Since it’s become a souvenir of the old days, I replaced it.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

35mm film scans, a composite, obviously. At some point the original moon was replaced by a sharper one, making the subsequent ones State II prints.

4 Likes

A souvenir of the old days or not, I really like this image. I would love to come across a tree like this standing all alone and just waiting to be photographed. And with the background of a super moon. I can see why it was a good seller. Beautiful!

OMG how did I let this one fall through the cracks? Compositing is so alien to me that I’m astounded by every one I see. So cinematic! Otherworldly, too, because of the size of the moon. I can see why someone needed to have it.

Thanks, @Steve_Kennedy and @Kris_Smith! This tree sadly blew down in a winter storm not long after I discovered it.