Have An Ice Day

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

In January 2017 there was a stretch of very cold weather in the Pacific Northwest. I decided to head up to the Washington Cascades to photograph waterfalls that were reported to be frozen. After hiking over snow packed roads and trails I came to this particular spot, whereupon I encountered this one individual climber scaling a wall of ice. I stayed for a while and captured several images from different angles, but found this one to be my favorite.

Specific Feedback

I would like some opinions on the emotional impact of this image, and how well it fits into this week’s challenge. Any feedback or thoughts about how this image could be improved would also be most welcome.

Technical Details

Screenshot (2)

1 Like

Very nice image! I really liked the dappled light on the left side of the composition, and would be inclined to crop the right side a fair amount to let that sense of atmosphere dominate the scene. Doing do would perhaps break the “rule” of having your subject face into the image rather away from, but is that - or any - rule unbreakable? Perhaps a compromise would be to crop the right side just to the left of the left-most shrub, which would position the climber just left of center. If doing that, perhaps slightly burning the brightest white ice on the right to balance it with the dappled ice on the left would be appropriate. Just some random suggestions, worth exactly what you directly paid me to provide them!

1 Like

What a fortunate encounter. Very dramatic image. I can’t give any technical advice, but I think the photo is a little grey and dull on the left side. Maybe lift shadows and give a little more saturation? What about cropping the right side in to eliminate the dark corner in the UR? That would probably mean getting rid of the branch on the right. I do like this image.

1 Like

This is pretty cool. Groan. Sorry. The shadows on the left don’t bother me, but maybe a small slice off the top to eliminate the dark wedge of rock there. I keep looking at it and not the climber. Ice climbers are their own special breed of nuts. Have an old photo from The Flume Gorge in the White Mountains with a whole bunch of climbers and one solo woman I was able to zoom in on. Maybe I’ll add it this week in honor of this photo!

1 Like

Hi Ted,

This image conveys lots of emotion for me, from your perspective as well as the climber’s.
As the photographer, this had to be an exciting and welcome surprise to see someone climbing when all you expected to find was ice.
It would have been an adrenalin rush just watching the climber while hoping for a successful and uneventful climb.
I would have been nervous for the climber, it would have been an “At the edge of my seat” tensed up toes, fingers and butt cheeks kind of emotion. :slight_smile:

As the climber, I can only imagine how thrilling it must have been even with a safety rope in place, the climber clearly thought it through enough to anchor and cast a safety rope from above before executing the ascent. Of course the truly safe way would be to have a second person above watching and insuring the stability of the anchor point of the safety rope, that requires a lot of trust on the climber’s part.

A special moment for any nature photographer IMHO. :slight_smile:

As for the image itself, I feel that the perspective and overall exposure is great!
The area on the right is bright and dominant in the frame, I think it belongs there but it seems just a bit too dominant as well as occupying a little too much of the scene.
In the example edit below, I cropped in from the right to the left of the dark triangle at the top, it wasn’t to eliminate the dark corner, it was to reduce the amount of dominant brighter and larger ice columns. The thought here was to help shift the viewer’s attention towards the climber.

Somehow the branches protruding out of the ice don’t seem to compliment the scale of the scene or the climber, they seemed to shrink the scale and maybe that’s just my perception of it, it at least gives the illusion of a smaller scale (probably just to me though). So, I spent a little time cloning them out with a small brush (about 10 pixels in diameter) at about 30% opacity and 0% hardness while very frequently resetting the origin point of the clone tool.

I did clone out the little dark spot at the lower edge of the frame just to minimize the visual weight there.
I like the dark triangle at the top because it defines the top of the ice columns where the snow is resting, without that triangle, there’s no definition for that shelf IMHO.

Then to balance out the brightness across the scene and to allow the climber to be “The center of attention”, I added an linear gradient exposure mask. I felt the darker dappled light on the left added to the scene and a slight sense of mystery. It feels like a tense scene from a good “Cliff Hanger” movie.

Finally, I added just a touch of saturation to the red, cyan and yellow channels to the climber only, just to bring him out more in the scene, it’s fairly subtle but from my personal preference point of view, it helped a bit.

Please keep in mind that the example edit as well as my thoughts are totally from my own personal perspective. It’s just something for you to consider. It is your image and your experience.

The one thing that isn’t clear here at NPN is that some photographers aim to replicate the scene as accurate as possible while others don’t mind doing a few artistic tweaks in their images, this is obviously the latter, but what do you prefer, accurate or artistic? Hmmm…guess I should have asked that question first!!
Maybe we should include that question in the image submission form, "Do you prefer Accurate Replication of the Scene, or, Artistic Tweaks? (Document or Art?). Something to think about I suppose.
The main point is, I don’t wish to offend or degrade your image, I only wish to provide an alternate view without offensive intentions.

Have an ICE Day, Ted! :slight_smile: Love the title!

1 Like

Thanks Jeff. I think I will work the image some more with your suggestions in mind.

Thank you Chris. Others have also suggested a crop on the right side so I am thinking of trying that.

Thank you Kristen for your suggestions…and the nice play on words at the beginning.

Thanks so much Merv for all the time and thoughts you gave to this image. I think with my photography in general I fall somewhere between the Accurate Replication and Artistic Tweaks categories. A little of both usually does it for me. I cropped the image in a 5x4 aspect ratio and removed some of the branches sticking out on the right side. What do you think?

Hi Ted,

I think I fall into that same category, I like to present the scene as close as possible to original, but I also like to do things that help to show my intent or vision a little better if I can.

Your rework is basically the combination of everyone’s suggestions and that is valuable to me.

This version adds drama to the action of the climber, it actually seems like the scale has increased as well because the ice columns and climber are larger in the frame.
The crop at the top put the climber higher on the ice wall and that adds to the tension because it seems like he has farther to fall (in our imaginations).
It also changes the perceived perspective, this makes it appear that you are closer laterally and vertically to the climber which is where the increased drama comes from in my opinion.

I really like this version! :slight_smile:
Nice work, Ted!

Collaboration works! :slight_smile:

I just went through the same thing with my latest street scene image. The final version is significantly different than the original. The third version is the result of the suggestions I received (collectively).
And I appreciate having others here that can help with my own images.

I don’t just dish out suggestions and comments, I appreciate receiving them as well :slight_smile:

Here’s the latest street scene image I posted, the top image is the final version, the fourth is the original (the B&W doesn’t count as a version).
I’m not asking you to review or comment, just pointing out that we all (including me) benefit from the critiques.

1 Like

I really love this picture and the emotion I felt when first seeing it is awe and inspiration. A person going on his own to conquer this wall of ice one small step at a time. It showed me how with enough persistence and willingness to take chances people can do anything. I love that the climber has a blue coat that makes him stick out over the black white and gray scene. I actually liked the non crop version more as the climber seemed smaller and thus his endeavor seemed more impressive. his isolation in this struggle was more impressive. seeing those small shrubs that are pointing towards also emphasize how unnatural and difficult the act of the climber is. In my view this is the perfect picture for this week’s challenge. you can play a little with the luminance of each side of the picture but I don’t think a lot needs to be done. Really great find.

2 Likes

Thanks again Merv. I’m finding all the suggestions on my submitted images are a great learning experience.

1 Like

Thank you Tamar. I’m glad you like this image, as it has always been one of my personal favorites.