Haze in the Valley

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This should fit the theme – it was indeed from the road. I didn’t even get out of the vehicle…

This is the northern Sierra . We were on our way to Nebraska in 2017 to shoot the total eclipse, which proved very successful.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-09-28 at 5.16.23 PM

Very minor tonal adjustments in LR, into PS for denoise and two corners cleaned up a tiny bit.

2 Likes

This is utterly magical! The receding and overlapping ridges are so clearly outlined, and the rocky crest sits in just the right place to dominate the scene. It has a fairy-tale quality to it, into the mystic.

Just a simply wonderful image.

Wow. I love the cool tones throughout this landscape. Diane. Everything works perfectly here from the mist to the layering of the receding ridge lines. The white featureless sky compliments the mist beautifully. Sounds as through you had to work up a sweat to capture this one. :laughing:

Hi Diane, The folds, texture, edge sharpness, amazing moody fog, and depth of this image are superb. You did a wonderful job seeing the image. One suggestion relates to the blank sky. My eye goes directly to the blank sky, which detracts a bit from the terrific moody mountains. I cropped the sky and reduced its brightness using the color grading tool in TK9. I intersected the sky so the color grading would be limited to just the sky. Then reduced the brightness of the highlights while adding a shade of grayish blue to match the color in your image. What do you think. Sounds like you had a great trip.