Heading Out To The Sea

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

A trompe l’oeil.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

These iceberg remnants are heading out to sea where they will end their lives on the “Diamond Beach” in Iceland. There are several ways to produce this type of image and I was inspired by a photograph that I saw in a down town Reykjavik gallery. I admit it took me a bit to see what was going on.

Technical Details

Camera: Canon EOS R5. Lens: RF24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM @ 24.0 mm. f/13 , 1/125, ISO 100. Edited and manipulated using Photoshop and Camera Raw.

Specific Feedback

Any and all comments welcomed.

The image caught my eye and drew me in immediately. I spent some time trying to figure out whether the whites are clouds reflecting in the water or ice in the water. I guess it is the same picture twice placed in this composition but it creates such an interesting combination that brings up so many questions. The triangle shapes of rocks draws you in and keeps you inside. Very interesting.

I am puzzled by this picture and unable to relate to it.

After reading the remainder of your post, I remain puzzled. I can see what you did, but I find the graphics unsettling.

Thank you, Tamar for your reaction. Bob Engle

Thank you, Barbara for your input. I agree the image is somewhat unsettling, but I believe at the same time intriguing . Bob Engle