Headwaters of the Colorado River

Image Description

Recently, I visited the west side of Rocky Mountain NP to do a little backcountry skiing. It was mid afternoon with a partly sunny skies, when I recognized an area I shot in the summer a few years ago. I thought it might be interesting to shoot a winter image with the snow bound Colorado River in the foreground and the Never Summer Mountains in the background.
Just down the road is the damage caused by a huge wildfire in 2021; the trees in the center of the image also carry the scars of that fire.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

• Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

The rapidly passing clouds caused rapidly changing light conditions. I took several images of the scene and decided on this one. The clouds dimmed the very bright fresh snow that had fallen overnight in the foreground; I was able to capture more texture in the snow due to the clouds, which I feel enhanced the foreground. The remains of snow in the trees in the midground, dimmed the color of the trees. I was able to capture some detail in the center peak snowfield, challenging because that are was nearly blown out because ther were no clouds filtering the light.

Technical Details

1/250 sec f/11 ISO 64 24-120mmf/4 @55mm Edited in LR & PS.

Gary,

This is quite the beautiful winter mountain landscape - Picture postcard! And extra special knowing that we’re looking at the very beginning of the CO River - that’s cool.

Honestly, I’m hard pressed to suggest anything for improvement. I think it’s especially nice to have the varying light on the field of snow - and some very fine details of some grasses peaking thru inthe LR area. Not only the soft light/shadow play on the snow, but there are also some subtle undulations in the terrain that keep an otherwise empty area from being, well, empty.

Not much to be done with the center peak in terms of the all white top. Maybe? Maybe, boost the contrast in the mountain a wee bit? I know though that the dusting of snow is kinda controlling the contrast there, so again, not much to suggest.

Beautiful winter landscape! Thanks for sharing.

Lon

This is an overall nice scene and enjoy your processing here. Great color balance and contrast. However, compositionally it feels a bit heavy on the left and empty on the right. All of the main objects and points of interest are stacked in the left third, while the right third is vacant. I wish it was a bit more staggered and evenly distributed. Maybe you could accentuate those lines of shadows on the right side more to add more visual interest there? Maybe darken the mountains on that right side close to the edge as well? I just feel like something needs to pull you to the right before bringing you back to the mountain peaks on the left to help with the balance here and improve the visual flow.