The west side of the Rockies

I was trying to show the area around the aspens . It was new to me, and I wanted an image that showed the range.

Specific Feedback Requested

Not sure I like how the back ground looks. It does show what I was trying to bring out, just not sure if this is the best.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R5, Canon RF 70-200mm @ 73mm
1/400 @ F-13, ISO 400
HH

I think this is a very compelling composition but not supported by flattering light. I do like that far background range. It looks almost like clouds to me. Overall I think the image could use a slight CW rotation.

I agree that this is a composition which works pretty well. You have interesting elements in all three key areas, foreground, mid-ground, and background. I especially like the isolated grove of aspens in the mid-ground.

To me the image feels slightly underexposed in the mid-ground and foreground, and I think some dodging and burning could be used to emphasis the aspens better. Here is a rework which reflects the direction I might try to take this. This adds some luminosity and mid-tone contrast. The added brightness in the foreground trees and in the mid-ground adds some extra vitality to the image IMO.

1 Like