Aspen Hillside B&W

Another B&W rendition of autumn in southwest Colorado. This hillside of aspens in peak fall color was taken just outside Crested Butte. The late afternoon side light just set the aspens completely aglow, and also created deep shadows that added depth and texture to the scene. The color version of this image has a nice blue / yellow color contrast, but to some degree it feels like just a wall of gold color. I thought converting this to B&W would do a better job of emphasizing the tonal contrast, and add more depth and dimension to the image. I think the aspen glow I witnessed in person came across well in B&W. No fancy composition here, I was really just trying to make the glow come to life in the image.

Specific Feedback Requested

any critique or comments are welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

1 Like

I really like the texture, tonality, and contrast that the B&W treatment reveals. Nicely done.

This looks really good and I like the B&W decision. I would be curious how it would look with the highs just a little less hot. In the large view a lot of the leaf clusters look a little blown out to me. Good one.

I love this very graphical image.
It sure show the glow…

Ed, I had to get use to your special image. To me there is a bit to much sky. So I took the liberty to make a rework to show what I meant.(easier than tell in english ).It’s more in balance (harmony) with the other darker parts in the image I think.