There's a river somewhere down there - Colorado River

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Colorado River and its surrounding canyons seen from Dead Horse Point State Park, Utah.

This is a midday photo, so light wasn’t anything interesting but scene was grand and beautiful, I think it works pretty well as a high contrast B&W image.

Specific Feedback

Nothing specific, but anything is welcome :slight_smile:

Technical Details

This is a multiple (vertical one row if remembering correctly) photos panorama stitch taken at 100mm, f/11 , 1/25s, ISO 64.
Nikon Z9 + Nikon Z 100-400mm lens.

1 Like

Kasperi, the high contrast and black and white treatment emphasizes the erosion forms in the left 2/3rds of the frame well. I am bothered by how much brightness change there is across the sky. I like the textures in the flat area along the right and think that adding some more contrast (and a bit less brightness along the canyon rim) would let that part of the frame have a stronger role.

1 Like

Neat country! I love erosion patterns. After reading @Mark_Seaver’s comment, I wondered if the differences between the right and the left had to do with a polarizer not having been adjusted with each movement of the camera? The mountains in the URC and the dark sky look polarized, but the far left is much hazier. I wouldn’t be a bit surprised to hear you were dealing with bright sunlight. Kudos for working with what you had in front of you at that moment. I feel like trying something is a good way to improve our abilities for those times when we can’t choose the best light, or angle, or subject as we’d like.

1 Like

Thanks @Mark_Seaver and @Denise_Dethlefsen for the comments!

And yes Denise, your guess is correct, I was using polarizer and not adjusting it hence the darker sky parts. It does not really bother me but sure it’s not natural looking and bit strong. And sun was just out of the frame ULC.

Local brightness control for the rim is definitely good idea.