Hedgehog cactus

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

These are fairly common in the desert near Phoenix. They’re preparing to bloom. I’ve found them difficult to photograph in the past because there’s no real focal point. but this cluster had one.

Specific Feedback

Comments about anything would be welcome.

Technical Details

ISO 100, 300mm, f/16, .4 sec.

Hi Don - love the prickliness on display. That comes through very well and I like the bright yellow. Given that you know this is the focus for the shot, I wonder you didn’t exploit that more by giving it more presence and weight in the composition.

Thanks for the feedback, Kristin.

Wonderful!! It must be a challenge to find a composition with subjects like this, but you did it here. The soft light worked so well here. I like that you showed the environment, but I think you could have a twofer with a square crop of just the main interest.

Diane, I think you’re right that a square crop would be an improvement here. For practical reasons I almost always stay with a 3 X 2 ratio but there are times I ought not to.

When you use a sqare crop, everyone will think you have a Hasselblad. :laughing: