Hello Homies

Nikon 3200
Len Nikor 18-55
ISO 1600
55mm
f/6.3
1/30 sec

Wasps building there home near my block, amazing is their nest building capacity.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hi Nishand,

I do not think that a 55mm would have been the best choice for working distance . I hope that these wasps did not sting you. This one is a difficult composition as depth of field is quite shallow and you used a slow shutter speed too. If you visit this nest again, use your on camera flash to provide some light and this will allow you to bump up your aperture and increase your exposure speed. I would have recomposed the image to catch more of the brood up along the top edge as the spiral pattern of the brood is an intriguing pattern for my eyes. Well done…Jim.

Nishand, I agree with Jim that this needs more depth-of-field and a faster shutter to freeze the wasps. Focusing on the nest and the eggs (the upper right 2/3 rds is also a good idea. I’d never try to shoot wasps with a 55mm lens! Yikes! :grin: You are very brave.

I will echo Jim and Mark. Having spent the last 40 years of my working life outdoors, I can tell you with absolute conviction, if you have ever been popped by 5 or 6 of these, It will instantly if not sooner focus your mind wonderfully on escape at all cost! Brush and briars, even barbed wire fences, will literally melt before you!

Thank you very much Mr. Jim for your valuable comment, will try your advice next time when I visit this nest.

With regards
Nishand Venugopal

Thank you for your encouraging words, will try with faster shutter speed next time. When I was taking it, I was praying that they don’t sting me. Not a very good experience.

With regards
Nishand Venugopal

Thank you, Mr. Phil, definitely, it’s a long way for me to reach that state, hope I will able to reach there.

with regards
Nishand Venugopal