Paper Wasp

Looking for subjects within the perimeter of my home,Found this paper wasps nest on a iron, and painted railing.

6D2, 180 Tamron, 24 MM ext, ISO 1600, 7.1, 1/160
Balan Vinod

Balan: Looking at your settings the light level must have been pretty low. Ideally I would like a bit more DOF and/or slightly more precise focus on the eye but I think you carried this off well as is. Nicely done. >=))>

Oh, Balan, you are brave. They don’t like you snooping around the nest. Glad you were able to get the shot, and hopefully without getting stung. Nice details of the wasp. I too would have liked the nest to have been sharp, but we can’t have everything. Nicely done.

A very nice shot!

I agree with the others that f/7.1 is a little fast, somewhere in the 10-15 range would have given you a better shot at getting the nest sharp. However, the nest isn’t the main focus of the photo, so I don’t think it’s a big drawback.

I think the wasp is sufficiently in focus, and the rest of the image other than part of the nest isn’t that interesting, that a closer crop might enhance the photo a lot by getting rid of some of the dead space, and also making the wasp more dramatic.

Balan, You got in close to a fairly nasty subject. The colors and details in the wasp look very good. If you hadn’t of said anything, I’d have never guessed that the background wasn’t natural.

Great wasp photo Balan. The detail is great, I have had good results with the 6D ii at higher iso which allows a higher f-stop. I have found that using a tripod I can take two photos and combine them in Photoshop this way getting everything in focus. I also have been setting up a shot say on this nest and using a remote shutter release. This way I keep a distance and just watch. The camera is set on high speed shooting. I do this for bees mostly.