Hepatic Tananger

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Taken near feeders in Madera Canyon AZ. A new species for me.

Specific Feedback

any suggestions welcome

Technical Details

Z9, Z100-400, 560mm, 1.4TC. F8, ISO 9000, 1/800

Nice, Dan. I’ve never seen these when I’ve been down in that neck of the planet. I don’t know if you can bring down the highlights on the breast, but you might want to look at the raw file and see if it’s possible.The composition works well.

Thankyou, Dennis - I will look at the RAW photo and see what I can do.

Nice find, and a lovely setting! There is a look of too much NR/sharpening – or not the best method. If it’s not a huge crop it might be worth another try. What did you use?

@Diane_Miller, I used LR denoise. No Sharpening. PS used to remove some distracting branches. I have the TIFF which looks much better regarding tonal range and texture but reduced the image to JPEG for posting. It seems to have lost a lot.

Odd – LR Denoise doesn’t do any sharpening so maybe the look came in JPEG compression. Not a big deal, but just something I noticed.

Best way is to export the JPEG directly from LR, where the file went back after your PS work. Just use the Export dialog and specify a size that’s about 1500-2000 px on long size, and sRGB. (Save it as a preset for NPN.) It will convert and resize. When you zoom in it should look basically the same as the PS file when the two are the same size on the screen, but will be smaller so you can’t zoom as big.

Nice job removing limbs!

Hi Daniel, nice catch of an intriguing bird in tough lighting. Would be interesting to see what another pass at processing does and perhaps adding some sharpening on the bird. A fine catch.

Hi Daniel. Nice post here of an uncommon bird. I too have never seen one, and I’ve been to Madera Canyon often. I really like the colors and the setting you got here. Nice BG too.

Thanks for your comments

Hi Dan, Always nice to get a new species. I like the warm tones in the bird against the green background. Steve Perry had a recent YouTube video on using LR denoise that might be of interest. You can probably decrease the highlights in the breast in LR using a local brush.

Thanks for the tip. I’ve watched that video. I don’t have the RAW file with me as I am traveling in Texas but when I return home will try to re-edit this photo. I had a series, some might be better.