Northern Harrier in Flight

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was out practicing birds in flight on gulls when this harrier flew by at fairly close range. Recently, I’ve had problems with lack of sharpness when panning handheld or on the gimbal. This bird was no exception.

Specific Feedback

I tried sharpening in PS - unsharp mask and smart sharpen. This image was the best I could do and was done on Topaz AI - motion blur.

Technical Details

Nikon Z9 100-400mm TC 1.4 - shot at 560mm
1/2000 sec
f/9
ISO 640
color correction LRC
Topaz AI for NR and sharpening.

2 Likes

Wonderful opportunity! Your specs look good for flight but at close range the subject is moving across the sensor pretty fast. The body looks pretty good (not having seen the raw file) but the head has issues. It may be that different sharpening settings will work for the body and head – worth a try. There are a lot of options in Topaz.

I’m seeing pretty good detail in the wings and the eye looks sharp. There seems to be some darkness between the face and sky; not sure if this is processing or what. Overall, a pretty nice shot, Dan.

@Diane_Miller , I will try to isolate the head from the body in Topaz. I’ve never done that so a new tool for me.

@Allen_Brooks , I see what you mean - I used a LR mask to darken the blue sky. I think that edge around the head of the bird is due to that, and I bet I will be able to fix it.

Not a tool but an easy technique – assuming you use PS. Make a new layer and do the best you can with the sharpen settings, looking at the body. Then go back to the underlying layer and make another new one just above it and turn off the first new one, which should be in the layers stack above it. Now try a different Topaz adjustment and see if you can do any better just looking at the head. Now you will have 2 layers above the BG, with the bottom one (hopefully) better for the head. If so, put a mask on the top layer and use a black brush to erase parts of the top layer that are better on the bottom layer. This will be a layered master file. You can make further adjustment layers above this, and when done, export a JPEG to post here or whatever use you have for it.

Hi Dan. Nice catch on this bird. You got some good processing suggestions from Allen and Diane, but I’m puzzled as to why you’re not getting really sharp images with those shooting specs. At that shutter speed you shouldn’t be getting any motion blur on a bird that large. Some zoom lenses in the past didn’t work very well at the long end of their focal lengths especially with a teleconverter, but I thought that was all ancient history at this point. Most current lenses are very good. Did you look at where the camera picked up the focus on the bird?

@Dennis_Plank I think the problem is my technique. I have trouble keeping the autofocus area on the head/eye of the bird. I have tried many different areas with and without subject recognition. So I am practicing on gulls. If you shoot with a Nikon Z9 any suggestions for optimal bird in flight setup will be appreciated. Also, the camera/lens is a beast. I seem to get better focus using the tripod/gimbal

Hi Dan. I’m not familiar with Nikon, but on my R5 I have a dedicated back button for birds in flight that sets a fast shutter speed and eye detect autofocus, with auto ISO. Not that this always works, but it seems to lock on the bird better than my other back button settings, especially if it can detect the eye.

I’m afraid I’ve never used Nikon. My understanding is that their bird eye AF works pretty well. Do you use back button AF? It’s an easy way to keep the focus updating.

A tripod and gimbal head is a very good combination to increase stability. If I’m in a position to use one, I will (or at least a monopod which is a bit more maneuverable.

@Allen_Brooks @Dennis_Plank
I exclusively use BBF. The eye recognition on the Nikon Z9 seems to work fine on stationary subjects. However, once the action starts I have trouble keeping the focus area close enough to the eye for it to remain locked on. I am on the verge of selling the Z9 for something less heavy. I think 1-2 lbs may make a big difference in my ability to pan. I will certainly not be able to take advantage of the new but heavier lenses in the Z line up. On my way to the beach again today for more practice. Thanks for your suggestions.