Her Secret Garden & repost

At a nature preserve I used to live near they had woods and fields and bee hives. I loved to sit on the ground and watch all the bees, butterflies and other insects flying in the wildflowers. I feel like this honeybee is leading me into a magical place.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400
ISO 400
300mm
f/6.3
1/640
I brought up the exposure a little bit and cropped it.

naturenessie

Vanessa, I like the down under view of the flowers and the bee. It looks like the bee is headed for the flowers. For me, I would prefer the bee heading toward the camera where we could see the bees face and eyes, but it isn’t easy to direct them the way we want them to fly. :grinning: I like how the leaves frame the flowers and the bee.

1 Like

Actually she just finished loading up on pollen from those milkweed flowers, her feet are full of it! I have other photos of her gathering the pollen.

Thank you for the feedback and your view about wanting to see the bee’s face. I’ve duly noted that for future posts! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Regardless of the direction the bee is flying, this is a very nice photograph that tells a good nature story. The framing of the bee is great. The only thing I’d suggest here is possibly toning down the bright area in the lower left corner, so it doesn’t pull us there and off the main attraction.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your insight. I’m glad you like it, I always have but think I might be partial because it was my experience. Maybe it would be better with the whole succession of photos that go with it. I’ll try to see if my app can just work on the brightness in that one area. I have Pixelmator photo on my iPad. I know that I’m not using it to the full. I only really do minor overall exposure adjustments. But need to branch out!

Hi Brenda, it’s me again! So, I just wanted you to see the original image size, I don’t know if you mean brightness from the blurred out foreground or not. The image I submitted I was trying to crop it out but it just didn’t look right cropping it all out. Maybe it looks better to just show the whole perspective? Then it doesn’t look so bright but then the bee is further away…any thoughts?
Thank you for your time!

Hello Vanessa, thank you for sharing this larger image. It helps to know what’s going out on that edge! I would definitely not crop it all out, this image is already cropped a lot. I would suggest just darkening that corner down a bit, if you have the means to do that in your software. In photoshop, it would be called ‘burning in’, in Lightroom, it’s using the brush tool and lowering highlights. It’s ok as is, but could be made better if that was just a bit less bright. Hope that helps and keep working on these bees in flight!

Just to clarify, this last image is the original, it isn’t cropped at all. I haven’t been able to figure out how to change exposure on my processing tool. I use Pixelmator photo on an iPad. It’s the best I’ve been able to find. Lightroom/photoshop is very clumsy to work with on an iPad and Pixelmator lets me convert from Raw to whatever I need and adjust things like exposure and change to black and white etc…but I need to probably read up more on it. Thank you so much! I love your website!