Heron in the fog with a blowfish

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I went out in my kayak in the am and was watching this heron fishing when a fog bank rolled in obscuring the background. The heron caught a blowfish and “chewed on it” for a while as the blow fish inflated. The heron was often shaking its head back and forth and dunking it’s beak and fish and swishing it as though to get rid of a bad taste and finally it let the fish go and float away. I watched this bird do the same thing with two other blowfish before it finally swallowed one before the fish got too inflated.

Technical Details

Sony A1, 1/2000 @ F6.3, ISO 8000 , 200-600mm @ 600mm. Processed in lightroom and Topaz AI denoise and sharpening.

Kathryn, you’ve got excellent details in the Heron and the Blowfish. The reflections in the water add extra interest. You’ve also got a nice spacious feeling with your placement of the heron. It’s colors fit well with the foggy background. As a self described reflection nut, I do wonder about a vertical view with all of the reflection (including the pilon and pier, :wink:) showing, but that’s clearly an adventure for another day.

1 Like

Kathryn: What a great catch (for you, not sure about the heron). This seems like a remarkably clean image despite the high ISO. Besides the light being flat there must not have been much of it either. Most excellent. >=))>

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words, Mark. The reflection is only of the heron, as we were in the middle of the bay and the shore is all mangroves and they were hidden by the fog. I agree it would have been more interesting if I were able to have a total reflection of the heron, but that is all there was from the angle I was shooting at.

Kathryn I love the story that goes with this shot. Nice details in both bird and puffer fish. That is one tough bird to try three times to swallow one of these. Great light and mistyrious (yes spp.) mood.

1 Like