Down the hatch

This Great Blue Heron is amazingly tame and it hangs out along one particular stretch of the C&O Canal. I watched it preen and then go fishing. In this case, managing to catch the action as it flicked the small fish from sideways in it’s beak into the air oriented for swallowing. (R5, 100-500 @ 500, 1/2500 s, f/9, iso 3200, tripod, polarizer)

1 Like

Mark, that was perfect timing on your part to get the fish as it was about to go down the hatch. The green algae on the water gives this image a nice environmental perspective as well as the talent the GB has to catch such a tiny fish through what would seem like obstruction of view. Nice. Encouraging me on the R5. Looking forward to shooting wading birds with it soon.

Excellent timing, Mark. The light looks pretty harsh on the face of the heron and the fish, but the action makes up for it. I love that coating of duckweed and the shadows on it. Have you played with that for abstracts yet?

Yup! Timing makes the shot. Colors in this image are outstanding. Excellent action. Well done!

Good timing. I look the look of concentration on the heron as it tries to position the fish. Nice setting and I like the abstract nature of the background shadows.

Hi Mark
The framing and action is really nice. I can never figure out how the Heron see through all that algae. You might want to look at reducing the exposure or highlights, as there is some clipping in the Blue feathers.
Peter

How the heck did it see that fish through all that duckweed? Amazing. Even though you had harsh light, this is a great action shot. I love all the DW packed around the birds legs and the shadows in the background. Great capture Mark.