A fresh catch

Here’s a Green Heron that has just caught a minnow at a local rapids. (7D2, 100-400 @ 400, 1/100 s, f/8, iso 800, tripod)

1 Like

A nice catch for the both of you, Mark. I like the low eye level point of view. The fish looks like he is putting up a fight, but a losing battle. Did you shoot this at 1/100? Or did an “0” get dropped. I would think there would be too much movement going on to stop action at 1/100. Great shot, at whatever shutter speed you used. Tripod is a huge help.

Very nice catch of the decisive moment. The splashing water droplets show the action and the color palette of the BG fits so well with the Heron. The BG is lovely in its own right and shows the setting without being a distraction. I’m undecided about the light area at the bottom of the frame. It echoes the light water at the top but the fact that it is OOF isn’t contributing a lot, for me. I think the image could stand up well if it was cropped out. Or else it could be darkened a bit, to be just darker than the water at the top, for a bit of visual weight at the bottom.

Very nice shot, Mark. Excellent detail in the heron and the minnow. I like the water flying from the fish. I think Diane is on the right track about removing the gray at the bottom. I don’t think it needs anchoring down there.

Nice action shot. I like the square on look at the heron. I could see this cropped as a pano to take out the lower rocks as well. I also wonder if adding a bit of something to bring out the complimentary water colors be a positive or not.