Green Heron catches fish

The Green Heron juveniles seem to be using the boat dock area as a home base to some extent. Saw this heron catch a fish there this morning.

Canon 90D, Sigma 150-600mm C
ISO 640, f6.3, 1/2500s, hand held

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@allensparks.wildlife

2 Likes

Allen, nice catch for the both of you. I love that perch he is on, and how it slants downward toward the water as the Heron leans down for his catch. The reflections are a nice bonus. As small as that little fish is, I can see his eye, and that is a nice extra as well. Great shot.

This is really nice. The compositional elements all work very nicely together. Of course the heron with a little fish is superb as well. I like this a lot.

Very good, Allen. The composition is excellent as well as the image quality. A very minor nit, but you might think about removing the portion of out of focus background log that’s poking up above the main perch under the heron’s tail.

Hi Allen

I’m glad you caught one with a fish. I like the comp and everything came together for the shot. Well done and I like it very much…Jim

Very nice capture, Allen! you caught a good pose with strong diagonals and two nice bonuses, the fish and the reflection. Clarity and exposure are very good also.

Very nice catch with great timing and the wonderful reflection! I agree with Dennis’ observation about the OOF piece of the perch. The only other small nit for me is more obvious on the smaller thumbnail – that the very pretty lighter area at the top of the image pulls my eye away from the Heron. A crop about halfway from the top edge to the bird leaves the bird a bit more prominent and still leaves a suggestion of the watery BG.

Agree with the praise above, and to me it’s a story-telling image ! Nice work, Hans

Hi Allen
It looks like the day of the Green Heron. The vertical framing really work to bring out the reflection. Both yours and Jim’s shot have great lighting, color and detail. You get 2 points for the fish. It is nice to see photographs like these because, I really see Green Herons in the Feld. Nice work.
Peter