High Key Bee & repost

Specific Feedback Requested

Does this work for a high key style photo? Anything else…

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400
300 mm
1/1250
ISO 1600
f/6.3
(I chose the black and white infrared , cropped and did minor adjustments in detail)

apani.hill

Love the idea of the thistles muted in the background focusing on the bug, Vanessa. However, it is a little to harsh and soft for me, but others may be more in tune to the effect. It will be interesting to get other perspectives. Very creative.

1 Like

Very interesting! It works for me, and I think going B/W was important for this image. Composition and detail are wonderful! Two tiny nits – the slightly darker bit of leaf at the top edge and the tiny bit of bright leaf at the bottom edge. Easy to fix with a slight crop.

1 Like

Thanks @linda_mellor & @Diane_Miller for your feedback, so I cropped as @Diane_Miller suggested and I toned down the harsh/softness as @linda_mellor suggested any improvement?….

But now you’ve crowded the stem. Can you crop without having to keep the same aspect ratio?

1 Like

Oh, yeah @Diane_Miller I can do it free style, just wasn’t sure if it would look good, or not…

Wonderful Vanessa. For me at least, there is now just enough of a hint of the supporting actors while leaving the focus clearly on the bee. And the has great detail. Definitely an image I would be proud to have in my portfolio. Nicely done.

1 Like

Thank you so much @linda_mellor for thinking so! Thanks for your help, because I like it better too toned down a little!

1 Like

What I suggested was an extremely tiny bit off the top and bottom to deal with two very small intrusions into the frame edge. The top would have been better handled by cloning but I didn’t know if you could do that.

With such a subtle image, clean edges are important to keep the eye in the frame.

1 Like

I don’t think I have ever given infrared a second thought for any of my macro shots, Vanessa, but this certainly does work. It is makes the bee stand out nicely. I like your square crop. That works nicely for me.

1 Like

Yeah, I probably can go back in and repair it in the original crop! I understand what you mean about keeping it clean.

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman glad you like it! I’m sure this style would be wonderful with all the true macro photos that you have! You actually gave me the idea because of helping me see how my thistles were so blown out in another shot. And this is the same area and day. But read that high key is kind of based on overexposed objects. The bee was perfect but the thistle couldn’t be saved in color anyway.