High-Key Sandhill

I’m experimenting with creating B&W high-key, high-contrast images. This was from a blue sky background shot I took a while back.

Specific Feedback Requested

Whites? Blacks? Contrast?

Technical Details

D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, handheld, 280mm, ISO 1250, DeNoise AI, cropped to 2400 x 1866.

1 Like

Love it and the high key aspect. Head out, legs out, one of the ways to ID these guys when they fly. Herons tuck in the head, but leave the feet out. Seems like good sharpness for this kind of shot - especially the eye. Super job. The shadow of the neck is interesting as is the light coming through that wing. Maybe deepen the darks on the edges of the feathers a tad? Could be worth playing with.

Hi Dave
You really have to look at this B&W in the large post to appreciate the quality of this image. Having said that, sometime I just help myself and I went with Kristen comment and played with the B&W in Silver Efex Pro3. this is what I came up with. (Hope you don’t mind)
Peter

Ps
I think this shot come up with Kristen was talking about, but after looking at both photographs, I think your fits the mood better.
Peter

Dave, this is terrific. I love the high key B&W treatment. Your image gives it just a touch of harsh light on the leading edges of the bird’s body and wings. I like it as is.

Nice job, Dave. I like the B&W treatment.