His Pronghorn majesty

Continuing Eva’s theme of backlit in Yellowstone, here’s a look at a Pronghorn in the Gardiner Basin section of the park (west of Gardiner). He is clearly wary of me, as shown by the raised rump hair. Besides the lighting, I got a kick out of his entourage of flies (the bright specks surrounding him).

7D2, 100-400 IS II @ 286 mm, 1/640 s, f/9, iso 800, tripod

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Excellent, Mark. Great job on the exposure and the dark hills in the background really make the Pronghorn and grasses pop.

Very nice, Mark! Excellent detail in the antelope and the contrast of the back-lit grasses against the dark background hills really tops it off!

Mark,

Beautiful animal, beautiful backdrop and environment, beautiful image. I particularly like the presence of the flying insects (assuming?) Wonderful image.

Lon

Mark, for me it’s all about the subject here. This is a wonderful portraiture of this pronghorn. These hoofed prairie nomads are my absolutely favorites in this category in that part of the wild animal kingdom. As a previous wildlife chasing photog myself they’re very allusive critters. For that reason alone a salute goes out to you for getting this nice of an image. Truly gorgeous scene…:+1::+1:

Mark, you were able to catch a great square-on pose of this guy in nice light. What surprises me about them is, although they’re the second fastest mammal in the world, they are so wary that I’ve never been able to frame one up before they bolt.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: