Male Pronghorn

The first significant snow in the high mountains has pushed the Pronghorns down to the river valleys in the Yellowstone area. While there were several large herds in the Gardiner Basin, this male was grazing and watching by himself. Catching a few stalks of dried grass in his mouth was a nice bonus. (R5, 100-500 @ 428, 1/400 s, f/13, iso 800)

1 Like

Mark, I’ve mentioned before these Pronghorn’s are a real favorite of mine amongst the hoofed wildlife crowd. This is maybe one of the healthiest I’ve ever seen. I mean, this boy is stout… :disguised_face:
A really very fine take of this seemingly peaceful & grazing prairie speedster… :+1:

Good looking guy, well photographed. Kudos for getting this close – I’ve never gotten closer than maybe 100 yards from one. Now I know what they look like. :grinning:

1 Like

Wonderful shot, Mark. I’ve never seen one of these guys, so I’m very happy to get a close up look of one. The colors all blend in well together too. Love the grass you captured in his mouth and the bull’s eye target on his almost tailless rear. I hope they aren’t hunted. :smile:

Diane, I fully understand your point of getting within range of these guys. Years ago when I did wildlife with 35mm & a long lens I’d say your 100 yard estimate is about right…they’re truly the prairie speedsters out there… :cowboy_hat_face:

Great subject, beautifully captured !

Terrific capture Mark. Love the setting and the details on the pronghorn look great. The grass in the mouth adds a very nice element of interest. Well done.