Horse Chestnut

Another one from the archives. This group of leaves grabbed my attention, but what I like most about it is the complex and interesting bokeh in the BG – in the original sense of the term as the quality of OOF specular highlights due to the shape of the lens diaphragm.

The leaves were an attractive autumn yellow but B/W made it very interesting, to me.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Canon 5D3, 70-200 f/2.8 at 160mm, f/5, ISO 800, 1/640, handheld. Not much done in LR, into PS for minor retouching and a B/W adjustment layer. I reworked the raw file but decided I preferred the original version.

1 Like

Another one I seem to have missed. Bah. Looks like I need to start following my favorite peeps so I don’t.

I love the edges of the leaves and how much of a contrast you’ve created with the sharp and the soft. The up from under look is nice as well. And yeah, the bokeh in the top left is pretty sweet. If you left it in color, that’s what it would be about, but here it’s about light, form and texture. More interesting I bet.

Thanks @Kris_Smith! The leaves were yellow and tonally quite flat in color. B/W let me bring out more structure – not exactly sure why.