Horseshoe Bend

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is Horseshoe Bend in Page AZ. I arrived at 4:30AM just as the gates were opened and waited patiently for the sun to come up. Worth the wait!

Specific Feedback

Would like feedback on the color. In particular, where the sun is hitting the rocks.

Thanks!

Technical Details

16mm, ISO 125, .5 sec, F14

2 Likes

Hi Scott,

I really like this! :slight_smile:
It’s just a great composition with lots of interest in the clouds as well as the texture, detail and colors in the canyon walls. Good overall depth, too.

As for the sunlight on the upper portion of the canyon walls, I think that part looks good! What strikes me is that the canyon and the water appear to be too bright, it doesn’t seem to blend as well as it should, there should be more of a defining line between the shaded rock and the rock in direct sunlight but this is just my opinion.

I done a quick edit using a mask in ACR (selected with the select object brush), then lowered the exposure and contrast quite a bit.
I also selected and lowered the exposure and contrast a little in the sky.
It’s still plenty bright enough to see the details in the canyon in my view.

This is just the way I see it. Hope you don’t mind the edit.

Edit: I just wanted to add that I hope to experience this place in person sometime soon.
I’ll be adding this to my Grand Canyon trip itinerary. :slight_smile: Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback! Most appreciated. I will play with it.

Scott

Thanks again for your advice. I made a few subtle changes and really like the final result!

Best regards,
Scott