Horseshoe's Edge

Sony A700
Sony SAL 16-50 @ 16mm
ISO 200, 1/30 @ f8
After seeing David’s Hawaii shot it reminded me of being on the edge of Horseshoe Bend in January of 2015. There are no guardrails or fences and the drop is close to 1000 feet. On this morning there was ice and snow on the hike from the parking lot. I was able to find a place where the footing wasn’t too treacherous but I was not bold enough to stand on the edge. I decided to not extend the tripod and practically went prone behind the camera. The sky was pretty featureless but I kind of liked how the snow on the horizon blended in with it. All comments welcome. >=))>

1 Like

Bill, I remember a few Navajos selling some good looking jewelry as well as the lack of a railing. This is special with the snow and the ability to see through the water, thanks to the overcast. An outstanding take on horseshoe bend.

Bill, this is a gorgeous image. Love the snow on the red rock. I hope that you have this one hanging as well. I had this on our list to visit back in 2014, but my husband and the couple we were traveling with were totally worn out from all the miles of driving (2,600 in 12 days), 5 states and 6 national parks, so even though we were fairly close I had to mark it off of our list and start heading back to Salt Lake City to catch our plane back, allowing some rest time in there. Maybe some day, you never know. Great looking shot here. :+1: :+1:

Incredible conditions Bill! I’ve been there 3 times each tie it just so happened to be in the middle of the day when it was hazy and hot and so crowded. I’ll bet you had nearly the whole place to yourself? I love the white contrasting with the white. Sky blends right into the snowdrifts. Even with good footing this place is really scary at the edge. When I was there last summer they were actually starting to put a railing up and a bathroom. Don’t know if they finished it or not but good for them. Love the image.

An unusual, stunning version of this overshot icon Bill. Fabulous! My only cc, in the totally subjective categary, is I would crop out most of the sky…I don’t think it adds to the photo, and is slightly distracting.

Very nice! That combo of brown and white is a winner. I’m with Tony on the sky - doesn’t add anything for me.

It is quite special to see this horseshoe bend with snow. You handled the image well. I like the way you blended the background mountains with the blank sky. i’ve not had the chance to be at this sight, but wonder if it’s possible to get the full bend in the water in the foreground? Wonderful image.

Larry: It is possible to get the entire curve but it does require getting closer to the edge and I felt like I didn’t want to have an underwear crisis :grin:. Thanks for commenting. >=))>

Gorgeous ‘different’ experience at Horseshoe than most experience. I agree the sky blending into the snow covered ridge works nicely. Keeps the eye and interest centered quite well.