Hot Belted Kingfisher

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D500 200-400mm f4 +1.4x TC set at 550mm (1/1600sec at f6.3, ISO 1800). Cropped off 30% of the frame, Topaz DeNoise AI, Levels, Shadows and Highlights, Brightness & Contrast. I have been using Topaz DeNoise AI in Lightroom and I think that it does a better job when applied in initially in Lightroom than in Photoshop. I pulled down the highlights quite a bit but the image is far from ideal. I also rubber stamped a grass seed head out from the lower edge of the frame. It has been so hot that this bird is cooling itself by using gular fluttering, the avian version of panting. Both Kingfishers are using this branch and Ill try to do some camera trapping for them this weekend. Very skittish birds and hope to get a few more keepers…Jim

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Great pose and species. The light must have been really difficult to deal with. Interesting notions that Topaz AI may work better from LR than from PS - cannot think of a reason why it should … Will try :wink: . Cheers, Hans

1 Like

Photo is on the lighter side but I does not look like whites are blown out. Lots of detail and nice pose and perch. Interesting behavior about the panting. Thanks for pointing that out.

1 Like

a little hot in both senses, Jim, but a really cool behavioral image and a very nice image in general. Detail is superb. I never noticed that very slight upturn at the tip of the bill before and wonder if it was just this individual or if it’s characteristic. Good luck this weekend.

1 Like

HI Jim
The frame, action and detail are very nice. Maybe a 1/2 stop darker??? Nice work.
Peter

1 Like

I agree with most of the comments with this image being a bit on the bright side. Looks a little bit harsh. Good detail though. Yep, he looks really hot. Time for a dive into the water!