Hovering with ease

A male Ruby Throated Humming Bird hovers near a feeding station. The humming birds seemed to arrive late to the feeders this year in central Maryland, but they are here now and bring their enthusiastic energy.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback regarding composition and technique for capturing humming birds.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Olympus OMD EM1 Mark II, 300mm Zuiko Pro lens with 1.4 ext. ISO 2000, f5.6, 1/2000. handheld using pro-capture mode.

#Billreichphoto
1 Like

Hi Bill
Humming Birds, are fun to watch and photograph. This one is claiming to be top bird. Nice work.
Peter

Wonderful sharpness and color on the goret! I wonder about a slight increase in exposure.

1 Like

I like the angle and wing position on the hummingbird, Bill, and the gorget is beautiful. To my eye, the bird looks slightly soft and a bit underexposed. I think you could reduce your shutter speed as low as 1/1000 and still maintain a pleasing blur in the wings. That would get the exposure up a bit.

1 Like

The colors, wing position, and background all work quite well but I agree with Dennis on this one with respect to the clarity of the image. I think a little more depth of field would get you where you need to go.

Nice image , I particularly like the front side view. Well done ! Cheers, Hans

1 Like

Thank you David. I very much appreciate the feedback from you and Dennis. Bill