How ICM Photography Affects My Creativity

Tom, that is so great to hear! Thank you kindly. If you would like to learn a bit more about the technique, you can check out my blog on my site. You can find a link under my profile. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

Thanks, much appreciated👍
Tom

Tjuvholmen alle 21,
0252 Oslo,Norway
Mobile: +47 98204885
https://rojahn.no

The world today doesn’t make sense,
so why should I paint pictures that do?

• Pablo Picasso

I really enjoyed your article and photographs, Alfredo. I especially like your multiple exposures, as they are truly fantastic abstract impressions of the natural world. I use the multiple exposure feature on my camera pretty often but your work has encouraged my to try doing it in Photoshop as well. Thank you for sharing your motivations and approach with the NPN community.

2 Likes

Thanks so much Sarah! I truly appreciate the kind words. I look forward to seeing what you create in your multi exposure projects.

Thanks for sharing the lovely images and your insights about them. I’m sure I would make a mess of this, but I’d like to try some anyway. :slight_smile: I don’t really want to highlight one picture over the other, but I thought it was stunning how clear the curtain is in the last image, and how it’s almost easier for me to see that than the trees. It’s kind of like those images that you stare at and they become 3D or the kind where they ask if you see an old or young woman - only much prettier! :slight_smile: Amazing. I plan to check out your blog. Thanks again!

1 Like

Thanks so much Karla! Don’t worry about making a mess. I would encourage you to experiment with various camera movements and just have fun with the technique. I’m happy you enjoyed the images especially the curtain one. Yes if you stare at for a bit the motion seems to come alive. Thanks again!

1 Like

Alfredo, I like how ICM is pushing you creatively and getting you out of your comfort zones to create unique images. There is a LOT to say about that, even though I’m not usually a huge fan of ICM work, yours feels more put together and intentional to me, so keep up the great work.

1 Like

That’s incredibly kind Matt! Thank you! It’s so easy to get carried away with a certain technique that we can lose focus what we are trying to express. I try to use ICM when an emotion or story I want to convey is further enhanced through motion.

This is slightly off topic.

The first time I saw this technique was in a book in the early 2000’s - one of 5 or 6 - published by a photographer who lived in Newfoundland, I believe near St. Jean. My copy disappeared when borrowed. He was working back in the 1980’s and was an octagerian. I seem to remember he had a Buddhist background. His images were usually simple, concise, precise and contemplative. For the life of me I can’t remember his name.

I am hoping someone remembers his name and can share it. I have been searching off and on for over a year for it or the title of any of his books.

I am betting @Igor_Doncov or @GuyTal have come across his work.

Alfredo, what a great article you wrote. Thanks for sharing your ideas and creations. I especially liked the quoted section above. Although I am very new to ICM, it was only within the past 2-3 months that I have been bitten by ICM nuances and continued beauty. My big “aha” moment came at a time when I was hiking in a nearby park. I had gone out to photograph reflections and other scenery in the park. However, when I was returning to my car, my eyes caught some lines, colors, and textures that had ICM all over them. That is when I realized I was beginning to look at scenes and imagine other compositions outside the ordinary. The beauty of ICM for me is the unexpected result you can create. I see I have a lot to learn from your beautiful images. Thanks again.

1 Like

Egidio, this is wonderful to read! I’m glad you are discovering the playfulness and potential in ICM photography. I’m looking forward to seeing your new images here. Thank you!

1 Like

Great article, fantastic images, Alfredo. All great photos; “A World on Fire” and “Close the Window” are exquisite. The way you wove your words between the images made for an interesting and enjoyable read. ICM is something I like to do, but often forget about. Thank you for the inspiration to do some more of it in the future.

1 Like

Thank you for the thoughtful comments! It’s greatly appreciated. I’m glad you enjoyed the article and are inspired to give ICM a try again.

Great article and photos, thanks for posting. I am glad to see that your article have increased the awareness of the ICM possibilities here at NPN.

1 Like

Thank you for your article. I love how you personalize ICM to your vision and create these beautiful images. Very inspiring.

1 Like

Thanks Ola! Appreciate it! I’m also happy that the article resonated with the members here.

Many thanks Cheryl for the wonderful words!!

Wow those images are really inspiring. It’s great to see them. As someone who has just started to scratch the surface of ICM I’m starting to see how many creative approaches ICM can have on nature and landscape photography. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Thank you David! I’m glad to hear it. Like most things in the pursuit of creativity, fail often and play.

Alfredo,

I’m a little late in responding, but couldn’t go on without commenting. Thank you so much for the wonderful article on ICM. I had been floating a similar idea, but you clearly covered some great ground and have show cased with some wonderful ICM imagery!

Love all of the image, but the “walking alone in the woods” b&w image is especially stunning. You also have done a great job in demonstrating the various techniques as well as the wide variety of subject matter - more than trees!

You article is an inspiration, but also validation of a worthy photographic technique. Thoroughly enjoyed both the article and image. Beautiful work.

1 Like