How ICM Photography Affects My Creativity

Originally published at: https://www.naturephotographers.network/how-icm-photography-affects-my-creativity/

My photographic approach is focused on seeking the experience of discovery.  I learned about this approach from Guy Tal and William Neill, both of whom I consider masters.  What does the experience of discovery mean and how does it relate to Intentional Camera Movement (ICM) photography?  To me it means going out into nature with no expectations.  It means being open to the subtle and not so subtle beauty that nature presents.  It means slowing down and observing the light, shapes, lines, color, and textures around you to create images that express you and your life experiences.  With ICM, the experience of discovery takes on another dimension.  ICM opens up new creative possibilities through experimentation and the freedom inherit with the technique.  With the camera and lens as my tools, I can add motion as another design element which expands my visual vocabulary to help create more expressive images.  ICM allows me the freedom to use my camera in different ways, and I enjoy the endless creative possibilities.

For those who are unaware, Intentional Camera Movement (ICM) photography is a photographic technique where you combine a slow shutter speed with the movement of the camera to achieve a result that can be both unique and creative.

Now, I’ll admit that ICM has gained in popularity recently, and the technique can become repetitive if overdone.  It’s an easy trap to fall into where the focus is solely on technique; however, if we use the technique to help tell the story about a place or communicate how we felt about a scene, then I think that it is worth pursuing.  

I use ICM to convey a certain mood in an image depending on how I interpret a given scene.  For example, in this image I wanted to express a soft painterly look to emphasize the warm colors in the grasses and reinforce the geometric shapes of the three primary trees. 

When I found this scene of Colorado aspens full of color, my heart was joyful, so through the use of motion, I wanted to portray the trees as if they were dancing for joy.

When I was driving into my local state park, I immediately noticed the long shadows cast from the trees from the early morning light.  How would I go about capturing such a busy scene as the light poured around the trees?  Intentional Camera Movement was useful to simplify this complex scene, to showcase the interaction of light and shadow, and to arrive at this abstract and ethereal final image.  The elements I wanted to portray included the diagonal lines intersecting with the vertical lines from the trees, alternating light and shadow, and motion using ICM.  

ICM photography also opens up creative possibilities without needing to travel far to exotic locations.  There are countless options within your local area to create unique images.  An ordinary stream can serve as your canvas to create something beautiful through ICM.  At 1/8 second and camera movement from right to left at a quick pace, I was able to photograph this ICM abstract of water cascades.  Streaks of highlights dance above waves; a playful dance between light, shadow, color, and pattern.  The elements moved with supreme skill and graceful fluidity.

Color ICM certainly helps to abstract a scene from reality, but I am finding that monochrome helps to reveal the structure and emotion of the scene that captured my imagination in the first place.  The structure of the barren trees really come to life through motion with black and white editing.  The following two photographs also convey a sense of mystery (and perhaps fear and apprehension) that comes from walking alone in the woods in the dark. 

I used ICM and creative color grading to give the photograph below a darker, more mysterious feel. You will see a common pattern with my ICM images, and that is primarily trees.  I love their structure and how their shapes get accentuated through camera movement.  

In the image of trees below, I used ICM to simplify the scene and help tell the story of separation.  Each grouping of trees stand together yet there is empty space between them.  It is an image of depicting isolation as well.  I enjoy using ICM to express elements of the human condition:  emotion, conflict, fear, mortality.  

The creation of illusion and the prompting of questions is also a beneficial aspect of Intentional Camera Movement photography. Is the image above, titled “Eye of the Storm,” an aerial photograph recorded over a storm or from a stream?

ICM is a free-form way to photograph the natural world.  I am able to be playful with my compositions.  Below is a photograph, using the ICM technique, of a forest in winter.  By flipping the image, it appears more like a reflection. I love being surprised when reviewing a series of ICM images of a scene.  You just never truly know how a scene will be rendered through camera motion.

A childlike curiosity and exploration are key drivers to my photography.  ICM photography helps me explore possibilities not clearly seen by my eyes but gets me closer to what my mind’s eye sees.  It allows me to push the scene further into abstraction and better tell a story or convey a mood.   To take that a step further, and to really unlock my creativity, I began experimenting in the digital darkroom using multiple exposure blending with ICM.   Most cameras allow you to capture a series of images and blend them in camera, but my Sony cameras do not have that feature, so I employ a hybrid approach.  I capture my images in the field and then combine them in Photoshop.  This exercise of experimentation has been a great creative outlet for me.

The first photo montage in this project using a base ICM image is below, titled “A World On Fire”.  The base ICM image is from a local woodland where I photographed some ponderosa pine trees.  In the editing phase, I combined another image photographed from a different trip to create this final piece, where I try to express the destruction of our natural world.

The second image, above, is called “Eternal Hanami” and was created in Photoshop using three separate images.  The base image of the trees was an ICM shot captured in the field on a frozen lake.  I used a separate, colorful reflection to add some texture in the ice at the lower half of the image.  The third image was of fall foliage and was used on the top part of the frame.  I also used it at the very bottom to help unify that part of the image with the top.  Blend modes, careful masking, patience, and time were essential to creating this tranquil scene which reflects my love for Japanese art and culture.

The final image I want to share that illustrates how I use ICM to drive my creativity is titled “Close The Window”.  This one reminds of a silky veil dancing in the wind, or perhaps an ornate curtain at the ballet.  Like the other two images, this one starts with a base ICM image and then I blended in separate images to achieve the final result.  The motion-like quality in this one was just a happy accident.  It was a byproduct of tinkering and a reflection of my imagination.   

It is through ICM that I can take chances, to experiment, and to express my own voice.  I encourage you to try ICM, to explore, and see what results you get.  If you have any questions or comments, please let me know.

9 Likes

Love this series of images! And thanks for the mention!

1 Like

Fabulous article! Thank you. Joan DeRosa

1 Like

Thank you, Alfredo for this wonderful article and your nice examples as well. ICM is something I just rarely think about, and I need to since right now in my life I am pretty much confined to my yard, I’m sure that would help me expand my possibilities.

5 Likes

Really enjoyed the article and the images. Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

Thank you Joan!

Happy to found the article helpful Shirley. Thank you!

Thank you Nichole! My pleasure.

1 Like

Thanks so much William! No problem at all.

Thanks for writing this article, Alfredo. Really great read and I love your images. I personally love to do ICM. I’m not as good as you, but hopefully one day will be! What you said about it being a way to express your emotions and the way you felt when you were there really resonates with me. I feel like it helps me to show the viewer the world as I see it.

2 Likes

Congratulations on the beautiful pictures and the beautiful article. I also think that the ICM is something really creative and expressive, then as a lover of painting, I particularly appreciate this technique especially one shot and in the room. Very good Alfredo.

1 Like

Thank you Vanessa for the wonderful response! ICM is a great way to express emotions and help show the viewer how you view the world as you mentioned.

1 Like

Alfredo, thank you for an inspiring article. I’ve been meaning to try again at ICM. My previous attempts were dismal to say the least. But I went out to my yard after reading this and I had some minor success…at least I did not delete everything! :slightly_smiling_face:

So, thank you again.

Cheers,
David

1 Like

Many thanks Antonio for sharing your feedback!

That’s fantastic to hear David. I’m glad you gave ICM another try. Keep practicing and see where the creativity takes you. Thanks for the kind words!

1 Like

This may be as good an article on ICM as I have read. Your images are wonderful in that they show the possibilities of this technique. I especially like the ICM used in conjunction with montage. I first came across this technique in the 80s with a book by Freeman Patterson. Imagine doing with with film. Personally I am put off by the trial and error aspect of this methodology. I prefer knowing what I’m creating before pushing the button. But perhaps with a lot of experience you sort of know what you will get with certain camera movements. Your results are certainly admirable.

PS. I also like the verbiage to image ratio in this article. It demonstrates well what you mean and is very easy to understand.

1 Like

A wonderful article, Alfredo, which is paired with some very fine photographs. A World On Fire and Close the Window are my favorites, for sure. Though I would love to experiment more with ICM photography, my use of a large format camera deters me from doing so. It’s expensive enough at $5 or so per sheet of film (photograph) - and at least then I know what I’m getting. Perhaps I should try playing about with some of my photographs in Photoshop, as you had mentioned. Not the same as making them in the field but it’ll be a lot cheaper!

1 Like

Igor, what a wonderful response! Thank you so much! I cannot imagine attempting ICM with film. That would be so stressful to me. :smile:

I tend to agree with your statement about knowing how certain camera movements work best for a given scene and that does come with lots of trial and error.

I’m happy to read you also enjoyed the words to image ratio. I had some great help from the editors here on NPN on polishing the article.

1 Like

Huge thank you Cody! I’m glad the article has resonated with the NPN community. Yes at $5 a sheet, attempting ICM with file would be quite expensive. I would definitely encourage you to create some photo montages in Photoshops with the images already in your library. It’s a great way to communicate in new ways (well nothing is really new in photography at this stage) but what I mean is express your own voice by trying something new. Thanks again.

Really beautiful images, Joan. I simply love the colours and compositions, so much as I would very much like to start experimenting and trying out ICM myself, thus I would have loved to learn more about how you achieved the results, like more on technique and exposure details?

1 Like