Hummingbird approaching cardinal flower II + repost

ISO 800, f6.3, 1/2500s

ISO 800, f6.3, 1/2500s

ISO 800, f6.3, 1/3200s

I was able to spend more time in the field with the cardinal flower. I think these images are an improvement over my first post. This was not a set up - just natural light and background of trees or grass.

Canon 90D, Sigma 150-600 C, tripod

Any comments appreciated

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@allensparks.wildlife

1 Like

Super images Allen. Patience has its rewards!

Terrific captures! Great detail in both the birds and the flowers.

Beautiful images ! I love the clean simple backgrounds accentuating the birds.

I like all three images with my preference for the first one. Nice work getting these. I have always found that digital sensors have a hard time capturing saturated red colors. I struggle with this on most of my hummingbird work as well since they tend to be attracted to red. I think all three images would benefit from a desaturation of the reds and a bit of darkening as well. I tried it on the first one just using TK to create a color selection of the reds, then a bit of Hue/Sat, a Curve and a small adjustment using Selective color to touch the reds. Here’s the result. See what you think.

Looks good Keith and thanks! I’ll give the reds another look.

These are 3 excellent hummingbird captures, Allen! Looks like that cardinal flower, your patience and your practice are all paying off, big time! Nice job of stopping the action and your exposures are right on the money. Clarity is great also. Well done! :+1:

Really pretty. Love the flower and the bird. I can’t choose a favorite. The reds on the flower are bright, but I don’t think they’re blown. Personally, I think Keith’s version removes too much vibrancy from the plant. I’d go somewhere between the original and his.

Thanks Lyle. Here’s a rework I did last night that I think hits on your advice:

That looks really good to my eye.