Hummingbird approaching cardinal flower

The field behind my house is sprouting wildflowers such as this cardinal flower. I noticed a ruby-throated hummingbird feeding on it so tried for some shots this morning. This isn’t a set up - just natural light with trees in the background.

Canon 90D, Sigma 150-600mm C, tripod
ISO 800, 1/2500s, f6.3

Any comments appreciated.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@allensparks.wildlife

1 Like

Beautiful capture, Allen. Cardinal Flower is a terrific wildflower, and a nice subject on its own. The hummer is clear and sharp, and I like the approach to the flower you caught. Nicely done all around.

This is a very nice, natural light capture of a hummingbird in action! The square crop works perfectly for this scene and everything is in-focus. I’m quite surprised that you stopped the wings as well as you did @ 1/2500 without a flash! I have duck photos with blurred wings at that speed!

Lovely capture. All the elements work together nicely for this image.

Very pretty. Nice, full wingspread and great flower. I wouldn’t argue with a bit of a head turn or a slight burning of the brighter corners. Otherwise, no nits from me.

Very good, Allen. Surprisingly little wing blur for a natural light image. I like the wing position and the composition works very well. The light looks surprisingly flat for getting that much shutter speed. You might clean up the orphan flower parts at the bottom.