Ruby-throated Hummingbird hitting cardinal flower

Description:

Cardinal flowers are blooming in the field behind our house and are attracting young of the year hummingbirds. I took this shot this morning. Not a set up. Natural light.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 90D, Sigma 150-600mm C, tripod
ISO 800, f6.3, 1/3200s

I cloned out some vegetation and partial flowers on the image borders (right).

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)
No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@allensparks.wildlife

Another image from this morning.

I love them. The fledglings are even smaller than the adults if that’s possible. And slower I’ve noticed. They literally have to come up to speed.

The second image with the face buried in the flower is priceless. Excellent crisp focus and smooth backgrounds. I’ll have to see if cardinal flower will grow in the shade. That’s pretty much all I have in the yard except for a few spots.

Pretty cool. Gotta love the second image with the head completely buried in the flower :smiley:

Agreed about the second shot - the BG is smoother and brighter too. It looks almost trapped by the flower! Super catch, Allen.

1 Like

Both are fantastic but that second one is really special!!!

Hi Allen, Difficult shot done expertly as background is free of noise and the cloned out leaves allows the eye to go directly to the flower and hummingbird. Good detail in the bird.
Wayne

Superb shots, Allen. I really like the way the head fits the Cardinal flower so well. You need a third with the bird coming out dusted with pollen.

I’ll go for the second one as well. The pose is better with the wings pointed over the back and especially like the eye peering from the flower. Fine as presented…Jim