Hummingbird Moth Caterpillar (Snowberry Clearwing) + repost

I went back and tried some different shots for the stack. I think this is better. The head is sharper anyway. :grinning: Four shot stack this time:

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I saw our coral honeysuckle was hosting one more of these caterpillars. I noticed it as I was about to leave for another shoot so tried a fairly quick focus stack. I had to raise my tripod to close to full height and use a step stool to shoot it. I liked the pose and how this shows the caterpillar’s underside is brown.

Specific Feedback

This is a three image focus stack which didn’t didn’t get the whole bugger sharp but fairly close I think. Any thoughts on that? Would this be a keeper for you?

Technical Details

Canon 7D mark II, Sigma 150mm macro, 1.4x teleconverter, 580 EX II Speedlite, Angler diffuser, tripod
ISO 400, f14, 1/250s

Stacking done in photoshop.

2 Likes

It’s close enough sharp for me, Allen. I still haven’t done any focus stacking. Just don’t have that much time to set up with all that I have going on. Something to learn later in life maybe. Anyway, I love the position you caught him in! Really neat. And that BG makes him stand out nicely. The leaf partly gone tells what he has be doing.

The level of detail works for me, Allen and that is one killer pose you caught!

Amazing acrobatics!! And a good stack for being in a rush. I love the detail in those little feet hanging on! I love the color, composition and BG!

I really like the “three munches later” version, Allen. Lovely to have your garden hosting the life cycle of this great moth. With a bit of luck you may find the pupa later too.