Snowberry Clearwing Caterpillar

I found this caterpillar on our coral honeysuckle plant this morning. We typically call the moths “hummingbird moths”. This is the first time I have seen a caterpillar of this species.

I’m not sure how effective this shot is. I couldn’t get fully parallel to the caterpillar even with my head pressed up against the house :upside_down_face:. I went to get my tripod to try some focus stacking (would have been a first for me) but he moved before I got back and I didn’t want to disturb him. Full frame image.

Canon 7D2, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 1.4x TC, 430 EX II speedlite @ 1/32 power
ISO 400, f32, 1/250s, hand held

Any comments appreciated.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@allensparks.wildlife

Still a nice shot, Allen, even if you didn’t get all in focus. What is in focus is really sharp. I appreciate the fact that you didn’t want to disturb him to get a photo. I think that is the first time I have seen a caterpillar of the hummingbird moth. I will have to keep my eye out for one now that I know what it looks like. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Terrific photo Allen. I also have seen the hummingbird moths, but never the caterpillar. Thanks for posting this wonderful image. Nicely done.

1 Like

Allen: I do see a little softness but one has to look closely to see it and it’s not a downer for me. I think you did great hand holding your rig and think you made the best of a less than ideal situation. Well done. >=))>

1 Like

Allen, I was shooting an adult of this species just a couple of days ago. I’ve never seen a caterpillar before. What a nice find and a good shot. It’s grazing on Coral Honeysuckle is good to know also. Yes, there’s a slight bit of softness, in it’s back end, but that’s very minor as this shows off its colors very well.

Lovely caterpillar done well. nice oof background. A little softness at the tail doesn’t take away much from overall beauty.