Caterpillar (Snowberry Clearwing Moth)

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We have a coral honeysuckle in our garden which is a host plant to these moths. I always enjoy finding a few of these caterpillars each year.

Specific Feedback

I like the semi-circle formed by this caterpillar as it feeds on the leaf.
Any comments welcome.

Technical Details

Canon 90D, Sigma 150 macro, 1.4x teleconverter, tripod, 580 EX II speedlite, Angler 100 diffuser
ISO 400, f32, 1/250s
Single shot

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
4 Likes

My favorite of your clearwing caterpillar shots. I love the composition with matching curves, and also how the brown patches balance each other. Plus it’s super-sharp. I hope it leaves enough of your plant!

This is amazing and wonderful!! The “pose” is a piece of nature’s art! And the photography displays your art to capture and present it. This belongs in a competition!

1 Like

Beautiful work, Allen. The detail is exquisite and as mentioned by others the arc formed by the caterpillar takes this over the top.

Oh wow, Allen, to me, this one is the best in your caterpillar series. As others have mentioned, the arc formed by the caterpillar and leaf takes it to another level in art. Nice and sharp throughout the caterpillar too. Well done! :+1: :+1:

Allen: Just goes to prove some folks will bend over backward for a good meal. Great find and a terrific capture. >=))>

1 Like