Snowberry Clearwing Caterpillar (Hummingbird Moth)

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Saw this caterpillar on our honeysuckle vine this morning. Three image stack. There was a little wind which may be the cause of the slight blur I’m seeing in the middle of the caterpillar.

Specific Feedback

Any

Technical Details

Canon 7D mark II, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, 1.4x teleconverter, tripod, 580 EX II speedlite, Angler diffuser
ISO 400, f13, 1/250s

Allen, thank you for identifying this caterpillar. I really like Hummingbird Moths, and to see what the caterpillar looks like is nice to know. My old eyes sure can’t tell that it is a slight blur in the middle! It all looks good to me. I would be so pleased to have captured this shot. I can’t think of anything to improve the shot.

I can’t see that much softness in the middle since I know these guys are bags of goo. Neat creature though and I like how much of it is in focus and the diagonal presentation. The flash looks less obvious in this shot and I like the light fall off better. Cool ridge of orange on the front end and horns on the back. The feet are hilarious, too. They are such eating machines and I like that aspect, too.